Saturday, January 3

Archive: From the era of the 'Board Exams'

My sister is class X and she has her first paper of her second pre-board exams tomorrow - Social Studies. She was asking me about my class X marks. I told her I got a (respectable) 86.6 pc.

That reminded me of a very (now) funny event that happened to me. After the results came out, I realised I did fairly well in most subjects - I scored above 90 in all subjects except Social Studies. I got 71 in ess ess tee. Hence, my cumulative percentage plummeted to 86.6. The fact that I got 71 led to an almost unstoppable giggle from my sis!

Those were the days when we had the option of 're-evaluation'. We had to make a DD of Rs. 100 per subject and send it along with a form to CBSE. After discussions with a few students and teachers, I realised it was an effort in vain. Add to that the fact that dad will be poorer by Rs. 100. But the embarassment of having scored in the seventies was too much to take and I backed my instinct and opted for re-evaluation of my Social Science answer-sheet. In the process, I bought some time and arguments to explain why I made a blunder.

Weeks passed by. The issue was forgotten. One day, out of the blue, my school office hands me a letter from CBSE. It was about the re-evaluation. I opened it in anticipation of a regret letter stating that the marks remain the same.

BUT, to my pleasant surprise it read something like "the marks in the following subject(s) have been change: Social Studies" ... and to my utter disbelief it said:

Old marks: 71
New Marks: 70

We regret that there was a mistake, kindly find enclosed a Draft for Rs. 100.. blah blah..

CC to: Principal

Holy cow!! If I was allowed to publicly swear then, I would have. But as luck would have, my school did not follow-up and I still retain the mark-sheet which says 71 in Social Studies! ;)

Apart, I pinged a few friends who were online at that time to check their marks:

Ugri - Ninety-holymother-Five percentage with Math - 99, Sci - 98, Sanskrit - 99, English - 82

I was just thinking, if he had got about 90-95 in English, he would have been on national TV. Tough luck mate. [Ofcourse, what happened later in IIT is more interesting, but I skip that for now :-) ]

Normal - 85 in ICSE. He wants me to believe that in terms of difficulty levels:

State Board < CBSE < ICSE

Normal, ofcourse is known to justify everything in this world. So I need second opinion on that.

Ankita - 90.6!

********

My sis, she claims herself, got 94 pc in 9th standard. Now that sounds a little funny to me coz' she shares the same genes as I do and I could never attach such high percentages to myself. So, assuming it is true, I wish she breaks Ugri's record of 95 and makes it to national television.

There'll be a proud brother applauding her.

Anyone else, who wishes to share their class X marks are more than welcome. I definitely will not be last, Normal's there to cushion me!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

91% in class X

:P

Anonymous said...

lol...

i defy agree with normal... :P
cozz i also come from the icse back ground..

and 91.2% in class X

Elithraniel Arawion said...

all pplz in 90's here :O whoa! let me safely tell you that u n i shared the same mark in 10th! lol my lowest was in language actually :P i managed to scrape thru with 75%... social studies was actuallly good :P

Anuj Choudhary said...

76% in class 10th :) Anyone who can beat that feat :D

Jeet said...

The theory which is perfect regarding difficulty levels is Stateboard<(CBSE or ICSE), between CBSE and ICSE, more research needs to be done to figure out the exact equation.

Aniket said...

91% in 10th, ICSE.
Agree about CBSE < ICSE.

Vikas Shenoy said...

@ Shankar, Pretty good, Congrats. :-)

@ Vikranth, Aniket

I will conditionally concede that ICSE is better - the sample set is obviously not representative. Both you buggers are from ICSE! Anyways, 91 in any board is commendable! ;)

@ Anusha, [Handshake] Funnily, apart from me, everyone else seems to have done well in S.St! :-P

@ Jeet, Indeed, State boards are a cake-walk. CBSE and ICSE are pretty different in their outlook. CBSE stresses heavily on Math/Sci, whereas I think ICSE lays heavy importance on literature as well.

@ Anuj, Unbeatable!! Your family has conties in IIT kya.. he he.

Czar said...

463/500, that makes it 92.6

99 math
96 science
96 sst (:D)

I don't remember the other two. But since I lost 9 marks in three subjects, I lost the remaining 28 in these two subjects. Hence.. Oh! Fuck! Thats sad. My linguistic skills suck.

Sowmyashree Ramesh Kumar said...

Congrats on your marks and All the best for your Sister.. I had secured 82%.. :)
Well we were in the same school and i remember the day when Ganesh Sir(our respected Social Science teacher) asked you " Kitna aayega re Vikas.. Kaisa kiya" (His accent as we know.. ;) )
N i remember you saying "Sir, jab results aayega tho bathadoonga" n students nearby burst into laughter.
Ha Ha.. :D

Mindbloggler said...

I will definitely try scoring 95pc and wud love to see u applauding for me.

And anyways as mom says U LAZY, NAUGHTY BOY scored 86pc who watched the whole cricket match on the day before the SSt Board Exam and u expected to score on 90's huh???

Anonymous said...

Well...congratulations first of all for scoring a mounting 86.8% bcoz i know very well that u scored that even after watching , playing n living cricket 24*7...well to add to the facts..i am quite aware of the re-evaluation incident...bcoz i also applied for re-evaluation of sanskrit(69/100) which led to my debacle of 88.4%...n i was the one who received your as well as mine re-evaluation result...to my dismay i got no change...nyways i remember that we really had a good laugh about the incident....

Anonymous

Anurag Verma said...

dude... which state are people talking about here? UB board is pain max... 80% in UP board = 90% in CBSE = 95% in ICSE (that's for 7-8 years back... donno abt the condition now)

Vikas Shenoy said...

@ Czar,

Good performance! I was just thinking how our CG's do not reflect our 'real' capabilities.

@ Sowmya,

Indeed. Feels good to think about those days. That said, I don't think I had the guts to face him after getting 70 in the exam!

@ Akshata,
He he.. see that is one of the reasons why I am in the insti cricket team.

@ Anonymous Gaurav,
We had our share of miseries - Social for me and Sanskrit for me. It was even more funny for you since your mom herself teaches Sanskrit! Evidently, you have not inherited the Sankrit genes from her. ;)

@ Anurag,

Yes, I have heard about UP Board being a pain. But I know for a fact that Karnataka Board is a cake-walk. You can get 95 pc even after 4 shots of tequila before each exam. And the same is true for most other state boards too.

I am still unsure of how ICSE/CBSE compare.

Aniket said...

@Anurag: Don't agree with 90% in CBSE = 95% in ICSE

Anonymous said...

Normal as usual is trying to bullshit people. :D 92.8% btw

Anonymous said...

95.83%
Social Science - 99
Maths - 99
Damn that hindi paper!

Those were the good old days!

ICSE > CBSE because I am from an ICSE background! But one truth about ICSE - you need to work real hard to fail.

Vikas Shenoy said...

@ IDR, Good stuff man.. clearly your 9-pointer roots can be traced back to school ;-P

@ Dandiya, That's a lot of marks for a spons coord dude!

phani kishan said...

95.2% !
and 98 in SST \m/!!

Languages suck big time! :|

Ankit Ashok said...

I hate to admit it, but just for you I-scored-90 plus-in-SST people to know, I scored 56. And I dont give a damn about it!

Post a Comment

 

Eccentricity Three Dot Zero | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates