Sunday, November 30

The Perfect Phone Call

Every now and then, I come across newspaper articles which border insanity and at times cross that. A few days back in the TOI, there was an article on what constitutes a perfect phone call. Another reference of the article is here.

The research suggest that an ideal phone call should last 9 minutes and 36 seconds!! It should contain a healthy mix of current affairs, opposite sex, health and such stuff.

Three minutes should be spent catching up with news about family and friends
One minute on personal problems
One minute on work/school
42 seconds on current affairs
24 seconds on the weather
24 seconds on chat about opposite sex
12 seconds, staying quite

Another interesting discovery: One in five people spend the maximum time on the phone talking to their mothers. Even more fantastic is the following:
Only 3 % of people named their father as the person they spent most time on the phone with – because dads hand over the phone to their wives.
My personal probability of mom being at the top of the list, at any point of time depends on the following factors:
  • Whether love life exists or not? If it does, whether it is on track or not?
  • Exams going on or not? [If yes, frequency of calls to mom increase!]
  • Whether my sister is having her exams or not? [Same as above]
  • Balance in the phone [Lesser the balance, the more missed calls that go home]
  • Whether dad has asked me to courier the fee receipt or not? [If yes, DON'T call till you have sent it, which usually is not soon]
  • Bank balance and the slope of decrease of the balance [Higher the gradient, higher is the probability that I bypass dad and call mom directly and use the powers vested in her :-) ]
  • Frequency of 'achievements' - Perhaps, there is no one who is happier than mom - so makes sense. Marginal benefit fundaes.
With dad it is far far simpler:

Dad has a fixed set of questions :
  • Wassup?
  • Do you need money?
  • Why is your CGPA falling every sem?
  • Why did you not send the courier yet.. #@$!$!!
  • Want to talk to mom?
There have been times when I have finished the above conversation with dad in 7 seconds!! But thanks to the research finding, I am not as guilty anymore - I guess its meant to be that way. Let me not challenge nature! ;)

Since we are talking of phone calls, I leave the reader with the following pic of my dear buddy, Ugri, talking to his then would-be girlfriend and now is girlfriend. This is the wing-phone in our wing and the time would be around 1 AM some August night of 2008. What all people do for love! :-P

16 comments:

Abhishek Kannur said...

Phew! Almost the same set of questions fired by my dad,

1] How are you sonny boy?
- fine
2] How is the food there?
-fine
3] How are the studies going on?
- fine
4] When are you coming home?
- no idea
5] Mummy se baat karni hai?
- yup

naren krishna said...

Dad's rock!
My dad asks me
1)How are acads going?
-stud max dad

2)Then why is CG so less?
-relative grading dad.Cant help.Tams dad.

3)Do u need money?
-yes

4)I don't understand! How can a student spend 2k/month ?
-Text Books,Note books,stationary,laundry,cycle repair ,top-up and miscellaneous :P

5)Are u seeing someone ?(Dad is kinda cool dude)
-ayyo raama, no dad .As of now i am concentrating on my future.

6)Called up mom and sis?
-Yes

7)Do well in acads.Family ka naam roshan karo
-Ob dad.I shall.

Mom ..always senti puts

"Eat well.Sleep well
Ghar jaldi aaja beta.Bahut yaad aa rahe hoan.
Dont stay late in the nite.Dont worry if u get less marks.
Did dad put money in ur account?
Be careful with girls.Be good to them.Just make friends and nothing more than that."

Moonlight said...

I totally agree... but maybe phone conversations are meant to be that way by law of nature... or maybe men (esp. dads) are less interested in details... as opposed to women (esp. moms) who want every single detail, and of course they need time to express their love and care on the phone :-)

Elithraniel Arawion said...

ohhh i totally totally agree.. my dad has to call up every hour when i'm outta the house.. and ask 3 questions only..

1. Where are you?

2. What are you doin?

3. Did you eat?

Anonymous said...

Poor Ugri!

Vikas Shenoy said...

@ Ugri, I can relate to that
@ Naren, you are clearly defying your mom's order of 'friends only, nothing more'

@MnM, Welcome to my blog. :-)
Yes, moms need all the time in the world to get into the minutest of details!

@Anusha, LOL. So, did you eat? :-P

@ Aniket, Poor??!! What are you saying? He is the 'Luckkki Boy' :D

Anonymous said...

Poor because he got mentioned here and probably sported a 'stay-away-you-traitor-friend' look. :P

Twilight Fairy said...

For me it's dad!!!
We talk for a minimum of 10mins and it can go on to 40 to 50min and there have been days when I spoke to him for like 75mins.
If my call ends in 10min it means that we'll be speaking again the same day/have spoken already for some 20mins earlier that day.

Mom: how are you? ate? good. = 30sec call. Anything imp to say = 1.30 call

Vikas Shenoy said...

@ Aniket, :-P

@ Twilight Fairy, You bring in a fresh perspective :-)

Czar said...

Considering that the article was from TOI, better could't be expected.

The trippiest part was the pic. Macha! Why can't he just go and meet her? Unless, of course, if she ain't from insti. Is she?

Abhishek Kannur said...

@ Czar

That call was after a long meeting... Kinda like a fade down (on telephone... saying goodnight mostly) of the conversational graph for the day...

Shruti said...

I have to agree with Pranava here. I guess its the other way round with daughters. In my case its Papa who will update about the latest gossip in the services circle as well as political scoops..
With mom its more like a monologue, "badam khaye, doodh piya. nahin piya na. wahaan jaake bilkul manmani ho gayi ho, itni badi ho gayi ho" etc etc..usually ends because papa comes to rescue

Vikas Shenoy said...

@ Czar, the reference to TOI is well-taken but the research is an international one.

Apart, Yes, she is from the insti and I am not too sure of Ugri's retort that the call was a follow-up to a meeting. [Grinning]

There are times in one's (love) life when Sharav seems like Timbuktu and you don't feel like talking to your louw @ 75 p/min - I think thats when you get to such tactics!

@ Ugri, Hmmm.. hmmm... :-P

@ Shruti, I concede that Girl-Dad bonding seems to be pretty strong!

Tushar Rathee said...

didn't know tht photograph existed

Ankit Ashok said...

For me dad has only three (or four) questions to ask

1) Is baar sare courses mein pass kar rahe ho?
- Pata nahi

2) Do you need money?
Case 1 - yes (Some positive integer)
! Is that for the month or the rest of the semester?
- Lets see
Case 2 - No (rare)
-cool

3) Ma se baat karni hai?
- yes


And then Ma is like "Khana khaya? Padai ho rahi hai? Didi se baat hui?"... And then usual lecture on the importance of breakfast etc.


My first impression of Ugri's pic was that of a drunken loser.

AbbY said...

Comments here had proved that father and son conversation across the India is same.

Here is my conversation with my loving dad.

@ Engineering

1) How are you? (Fine…..)
2) How is your study going on?(jack-ass….)
3) You got money that I have sent? (ahhh love you dad …..)
4) Your mom wants to talk to you.( Mom…missing you)

@ MBA
1) You are spending too much money this month any special reason? (ohhhh pune is too expensive…dad and this education system sucks )
2) Have you started drinking and smoking?(ohh of coz not…. Just beer sometimes…and this sometimes is quite often)
3) Who is that girl in your orkut photos? ( OMG…she is…she is …my project partner…just friend)
4) Your mom said Hi to you.( say hi too..miss you)

@ Job
1) This month installment for your education loan is due, send money.(ohhh I forget ..will send you soon….actually one of my friend need some money in emergency….bla bla bla )
2) Have you save any money for your future? At your age I was father of two and running home with 10% of your income.( I am waiting for some good investment plan. I am concern about this ..donn worry… ohhh waiting for kingfisher to Float his IPO :)
3) Have you found any girl of your kind or it is still our head ache?
What??? I am still young dad...let me live my life…I am not ready for all this…

4) Your mom and sis. Wants new sari and dress material brings this when you come home next time. (ohhh…..yaaa….yaaa….sure….)

Post a Comment

 

Eccentricity Three Dot Zero | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates