Tuesday, August 4

What is a Writer's block anyway?

**Hiatus** is a word that comes to my mind. **Long** is an adjective that I may add to make it sound more attractive. **Writer's block** is a term that puts a nice cloak around my sudden loss of enthusiasm towards blogging and makes it presentable.

But, 10 days later, I am back on my blog. :-P

Oh, and a "define: hiatus" in your Google search window throws this up: "suspension: an interruption in the intensity or amount of something" - which, makes sense. Also, James Wales gives me a beautiful explanation of Writer's block. He/It says

Writer's block is a condition, associated with writing as a profession, in which an author loses the ability to produce new work. The condition varies widely in intensity. It can be trivial, a temporary difficulty in dealing with the task in hand. At the other extreme, some "blocked" writers have been unable to work for years on end, and some have even abandoned their careers.
So, the next time you are looking for a reason, use the above one.

To move over the inertia, I wanted something motivating to get me back to blogging. And it is here. The new batch of kids are here on campus. Anxious, nerdy, proud and day-1-arrogant freshers.

And here's a (new?) hypothesis I float: Freshies, by nature of their being freshies, are DUMB.

I wake up at 7 AM and drag myself to the bathroom to brush my teeth, and I find a guy happily staring into the mirror with a toothbrush in his mouth, while the water tap underneath is open and flowing. And at a volume flow rate good enough to force me to blog! This is not a one-off. Hopefully, the freshies will not disappoint me and provide enough evidence over the next couple of weeks to prove my hypothesis. Shall update here.

PS: Hypothesis: a tentative insight into the natural world; a concept that is not yet verified but that if true would explain certain facts or phenomena; "a scientific hypothesis that survives experimental testing becomes a scientific theory";

7 comments:

Jimmy said...

'Writer's block' - nice find !

Jimmy said...

Watch more serials. U'll hate this (writer's block)

Vijay Shankar said...

The running tap while brushing teeth habit of freshies has been going on for long. I've often had to close the tap of the freshie next to me.

Ashwin said...

I really like your writing style and your articles are really hilarious ( albeit, i feel freshies are not as dumb as we look :P)

Ashwin
224, alak

The Dryad said...

Erm, the tap thing is common to a lot of people regardless of their year, level of eduacation or intelligence. And lemme get this straight- you WANT them to be dumb just so it proves your hypothesis right?

Anonymous said...

Scientific hypothesis? your statement, by it's very nature, loses all virtue of being scientific.

And weren't you a freshie too? So will your next hypothesis be 'Intelligence is rapidly gained over a student's sophomore year.'?

your other articles were nice, but this one didn't do the blog justice. seemed like a filler.

Shanmukh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

Post a Comment

 

Eccentricity Three Dot Zero | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates